How Well Do You Know Yourself? – Part 1 — Morning Devotions - Hope 103.2

How Well Do You Know Yourself? – Part 1 — Morning Devotions

When we get in touch with our true feelings and emotions, we have courage to go further in life—where God will lead us.

By Chris WittsMonday 17 Jun 2024Morning Devotions with Chris WittsFaithReading Time: 1 minute

Subscribe to Morning Devotions podcast

Morning Devotions with Chris Witts podcast hero banner


There’s a great statement in Psalm 139, written by King David, words that speak to every generation. It’s David’s prayer to God: “You know when I am resting or when I am working, and from heaven you discover my thoughts. You notice everything I do and everywhere I go. Before even I speak a word, You know what I will say” (Psalm 139:2-4).

This is a startling statement, because it says God knows us better than anyone, including ourselves. He knows about our appearance, our height, weight, how many cells in our body. But he is aware of our thoughts, desires, motives, and those hidden thoughts we don’t want anyone else to know about. And in the New Testament in Matthew 10:30, the Bible says he knows how many hairs we have on our head.

Ourselves, below the surface

So, the question is: How well do you know yourself? Others may think they know us pretty well, but what do we think of ourselves? It’s quite a complex matter, and I don’t have all the answers. But I do know that God, my loving Heavenly Father, will help me discover truths that will make a difference in my life, and maybe the same for you too.

When friends or acquaintances look at us, all they are really seeing is the tip of the iceberg. The tip of the iceberg is usually only 10% of the mass. The other 90% is below the surface—it can’t be seen. But people judge us according to the way we look: how we dress, how we speak, body language, and the way we believe—but that’s not the whole story!

It’s easy to think we know someone from meeting them. But have we ever taken the time to really know them, to get beneath the surface? Do you allow others to get to know the real you, or do you keep them at a distance? If your friend asks, How are you? and through gritted teeth you say, I’m fine, obviously you’re not fine. Your expression says the opposite.

Getting in touch with our true self

But above the surface we are affected by attitudes, motivation and emotions. That’s fairly easy to work out—how I feel about something, or how I react. We all do that to one degree or another. But psychologists tell us deeper down are things like perception, beliefs, values and purpose. That takes a lot longer to understand.

I think it’s very sad when we don’t allow God through his Holy Spirit to come into the depths of our inner being to do his healing work. After all, he made us and knows us, and loves us. He wants to bring his blessings and inner healing, especially in the areas where we are hurting.

Hope 103.2 is proudly supported by

When we get in touch with our true feelings and emotions, we have courage to go further in life. It might be exciting to see where God will lead us.

(To be continued in How Well Do You Know Yourself? – Part 2)