By Sabrina PetersMonday 28 Dec 2020
When I was 16 I thought I knew everything. A few years have passed since then and I have realised I actually didn’t know everything (Ha! Funny, right?).
If I could stand face to face with my 16-year-old self I would have a lot to tell her. She probably wouldn’t listen but I’ll say it anyway…
- Stop caring so much about what other people think of you.
- Love yourself just the way you are.
- Your mum is right 99.8 per cent of the time (even if you don’t like it)!
- Listen more. Talk less.
- They weren’t growing pains, you’ll be that size forever.
- Don’t smoke, it’s totally gross and so bad for your health.
- Forgive that person that hurt you.
- Forgive yourself, God does.
- Banish any self-hatred.
- Stop kissing all the boys, you’ll regret it later.
- It’s OK if you don’t know exactly what you want to do when you grow up.
- God is not angry with you.
- It’s OK to have doubts about your faith.
- Enjoy your hair, it’ll go M.I.A. in a few years.
- One day the pain will go away, don’t give up.
- Some of the things you think will make you happy will actually do the opposite.
- Whether in thought or in words, flee from comparison.
- Stop stressing over everything! It may seem really huge but it’s actually not.
- Just do your best.
- Stand up for what you believe in.
- Don’t straighten your hair with your mums iron!
- Oh, and drop those friends, you know the ones.
- Tell you parents you love them, one day they might not be around.
- Enjoy your energy.
- Hawaiian shirts are not cool and never will be.
- You don’t need to experience everything to know it’s bad for you.
- Listen to your parents when they say “no”.
- You’ll fall in love easily, don’t give him everything.
- Make-up is not paint, use it sparingly.
- Seek Him, even when you don’t feel anything.
- Trust God, trust God and trust Him again. He’s always got it.
- Stand up for yourself.
- It’s OK to be in the friend zone, one day you’ll get out and you’ll marry that person.
- Stop trying to make massive life decisions, chill out.
- Just stop. No, stop.
- You’re going to have a baby in six years… save your money, don’t spend it on Tony Bianco heels haha.
- Buy shares in Apple.
- Education is a privilege, give it all you’ve got.
- When you fall, get up. Don’t quit. It’s not the end.
- God understands your struggles.
- Don’t give into peer pressure just to fit in with the “cool kids”, they won’t always be so cool.
- No matter how big high school feels it’s such a small part of your life.
- Break up with the boy who treats you badly.
- Don’t get drunk at that party, it’s not as fun as everyone makes it out to be.
- You are good enough.
- Dream big… bigger… bigger again!
- Blue eye shadow does not make your eyes pop.
- Your body is perfect, stop picking at it. You are beautiful and oh so loved!
- God has plans to prosper you and not to harm you, wait, and you will receive.
- You are not defined by your past.
- Be careful of who you open up to.
- Don’t be a mean girl.
- Everyone has their own battles in life, always be kind
- Old people actually know stuff, learn from them.
- Stop searching for love and your self-worth in others.
- Don’t give into something today that could destroy your tomorrow.
- God is going to mess up all your plans but His are better!
- You’ll meet a guy when your 18 and think he’s a total creep. He’s not. He’s your husband. Be nicer to him.
- The lotto numbers for this coming Wednesday are… 8, 16, 24, 13, 30, 2, 5…(haha, jokes I wish!).
- Nothing in this world satisfies like Jesus. Really. Nothing.
(P.S. A big thanks to all those that added in their pearls of wisdom!)
What would you tell your 16-year-old self?
Article supplied with thanks to Sabrina Peters.
About the author: Sabrina is a writer, pastor and relationships blogger. She is passionate about Jesus and changing the way people think about God & sex.
Hope 103.2 is proudly supported by