Making your own Mexican seasoning is so simple. There is no need to use the store-bought packets that contain flour, sugar, food acid and anti-caking agents.
When I read the ingredient list on my packet of taco mix, I was shocked. The first ingredient was sugar and the second was flour – no, thank you. I just wanted the spices.
Use 2 tablespoons of Mexican Spice Mix with 500g of beef or chicken mince when making tacos or 3 tablespoons for Chilli Beef or Taco Soup. It’s always best to use organic spices if available.
Mexican Spice Mix
Serves: 10 Tablespoons (105g) | Prep Time: 5 min | Cooking Time: N/A
- 3 Tbsp ground cumin
- 2 Tbsp ground coriander
- 1 1/2 Tbsp chilli powder
- 1 1/2 Tbsp oregano
- 1 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp fine sea salt
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp cayenne
- 1/2 tsp black pepper, ground
Add all the above ingredients to a glass jar with an airtight lid and stir to mix well. Seal and store in the pantry for up to 6 months.
- For tacos: Use 2 tablespoons as the equivalent of 1 packet of taco seasoning.
- For chilli recipes: Use 3 tablespoons as the equivalent of 1 packet of chilli seasoning.
- Mexican Spice Mix is also delicious sprinkled on fish, pork, beef or chicken before grilling or baking.
- 1 sml–med onion, finely diced
- 500g beef or chicken mince
- 2 Tbsp Mexican seasoning mix
- 3 Tbsp organic tomato paste
- 80ml filtered water
Heat a pan on medium and add coconut oil or olive oil. Add the onion and cook until soft. Add the meat and cook for 5 minutes or until brown. Sprinkle over the spice mix and add the tomato paste and water, stir well. Cook simmering, for 8–10 minutes. Serve in Paleo tortillas or wraps with salad, salsa and fresh coriander leaves. Check out my Sweet Potato and Cassava Flour Wrap recipe. You will find a tortilla recipe in my Paleo Bread Cookbook.
Article supplied with thanks to The JOYful Table.
About the author: Susan is the author of The JOYful Table cookbook containing gluten- and grain-free, and Paleo-inspired recipes for good health and wellbeing.