There was a man who one day went about his business wearing a big badge with four letters: they were B.A.I.K. Others were obviously curious about what he was up to, so one person asked, What do the letters stand for? His answer: It means Boy Am I Confused.
His friend was puzzled: But why do you spell the word ‘confused’ with a ‘k’? Well, that shows you how confused I am. We may laugh at that quaint story, but it does introduce my thoughts today about confusion.
The Two Mischievous Boys
A couple had two little boys, ages 8 and 10, who were excessively mischievous. They were always getting into trouble and their parents knew that, if any mischief occurred in their town, their sons were probably involved. The boys’ mother heard that a clergyman in town had been successful in disciplining children, so she asked if he would speak with her boys.
The clergyman agreed, but asked to see them individually. So the mother sent her eight-year-old first, in the morning, with the older boy to see the clergyman in the afternoon. The clergyman, a huge man with a booming voice, sat the younger boy down and asked him sternly, Where is God? The boy’s mouth dropped open, but he made no response, sitting there with his mouth hanging open, wide-eyed. So the clergyman repeated the question in an even sterner tone, Where is God?
Again the boy made no attempt to answer. So the clergyman raised his voice even more and shook his finger in the boy’s face and bellowed, WHERE IS GOD? The boy screamed and bolted from the room, ran directly home and ran into a cupboard, slamming the door behind him. When his older brother found him in the closet, he asked, What happened? The younger brother, gasping for breath, replied: We are in big trouble this time, dude. God is missing – and they think we did it!
We are in a time where people are wondering where God is. People are confused—is there any order?
- Did we lose God somewhere along the line?
- Our society seems to be in chaos.
- We are seeing more and more violence. We are seeing more drug and alcohol abuse. Society is becoming increasingly violent. People are wondering if things will ever get better.
God Created an Orderly Universe
I want to say God brings order, not confusion. The universe is set up in an orderly manner. When was the last time that one of our planets ran into another one? There are billions of stars and planets in the universe, yet they are all in orderly orbits. What are the odds?
Hope 103.2 is proudly supported by
- The movement of the planets of our solar system is so precise, scientists can calculate exactly where a planet will be hundreds of years in advance.
- We know when the comets are going to pass by us again.
- The earth rotates on its axis at a tilt of 23 degrees, which allows for a greater surface of the earth to be tilled and makes possible the seasons.
- The earth rotates at 1,000 miles per hour. If it rotated at only 100 miles per hour, the days and nights would be ten times longer. The summer sun would burn all vegetation and the winter’s night would be incredibly cold.
- The earth is at the right distance from the right-sized sun for life as experienced on earth.
- If the earth were farther away from the sun, the climate would be too cold. If it were closer, it would be too hot. If the sun were smaller or larger we would either freeze or roast.
- On the moon, in one lunar day (which lasts 15 earth days) the temperature varies from a high of 214 degrees above zero to 243 degrees below zero.
- The earth is at the right distance from the right-sized moon for life as we know it.
- The ratio of the size of the moon to the earth is 10 times greater than for any other planet’s satellite in the solar system.
I don’t need to say anymore: God is the supreme author of our world. Psalm 19:1 says, “The heavens keep telling the wonders of God, and the skies declare what He has done”.
The Road to Internal Peace and Understanding
Do you feel confused about your own life? God wants to bring order to your life:
- Romans 5:1 tells us, “By faith we have been made acceptable to God. And because of our Lord Jesus Christ, we live at peace with God”. As we turn over areas of our lives to God, we will experience order, peace and blessings from God. We will not be confused anymore. God brings order to our lives through the person of his Son Jesus Christ.
- Think of how many people are living in chaos because they have ignored God and his calling. Think about how many people are living in chaos because we have not taken the Gospel message to them in love. God sent his Son to die for us; he does not want us to live in chaos. Jesus will bring peace in our lives—our lives will have an ultimate purpose and direction.
- Paul joyfully writes in Romans 16:19-20: “For the report of your obedience has reached to all; therefore I am rejoicing over you, but I want you to be wise in what is good and innocent in what is evil. The God of peace will soon crush Satan under your feet. The grace of our Lord Jesus be with you.” Paul is telling the people that because of their love and obedience to the Lord that God was not going to let Satan wreak havoc in their lives.
- God wants to bring order and peace into your life—even if you feel very confused. In 1 Corinthians 14:33 we read: “For God is not [the author] of confusion (or disorder), but of peace…” Here, the term peace can also be translated to mean a quiet and restful mind, not troubled by confusion or doubt.
God wants to bring order to your life.
The road to meaning in life—the road to understanding and peace within—is the road of prayer. Whom do you talk with when you’re confused and hurting? Your friends may console you, but they can’t heal you or lift your pain. At such times you have to turn to the Lord, crying out in honesty and humility: God, I have messed it all up. I’ve brought confusion down on my life. I need you to come and take control again. I’m tired of my life as it is, tired of turning aside from you and suffering deeply for it. I need you to turn me, Lord, because I can’t do it myself.